Proposal: Site UX

I say ongoing cosmetic and aesthetics to the UI/UX can be done adhoc. I would like to see something launched soon that at least captures the whole of the Yearn experience in one easy to find place, and the integration with zapper is just genius.

We can get FutureFund to take this and perhaps give it the branding treatment for a future update.

2 Likes

I can do this too. Just didn’t go slow mode at first in order to deliver this.

So I would suggest that I take my work so far and deliver a complete package for Yearn.

If FutureFund would now like to collaborate with me, I’m open to suggestions.

As mentioned in other threads, there’s a lot more I can contribute here.

Just wanted to show you what I can do first.

4 Likes

maybe we can have different themes for the site instead of light and dark. Maybe stuff that changes the ui layout / background as well. But that is probably not so important right now. (I just love lots of themes haha)

Haha maybe I’ll add a custom colors box later you can choose whatever colors you want.

Things I don’t like about the UX:

Metamask shouldn’t need to be connected to see information. People should be able to look at statistics regardless.

“Save” and “Grow” should be bigger or more obvious. The rest of the buttons aren’t as necessary to the protocol.

Maybe add governance somewhere in there?

Otherwise yeah. It’s way better and much needed.

1 Like

Thanks, right now on current UX, mm required. I’ll be able to do it the way you suggest though, soon.

Also buttons

Also governance probably in a couple weeks

Yep, like others said, looks great, and only minor things I would add– $USD balance, automating in the recycle if possible, and also adding links to governance (both the forums and the ygov.finance)

Great work!

2 Likes

Will do! Thanks for the suggestions.
USD balance is in high demand
As are gov links and re-UX
Recycle might take a tiny bit longer but will do what I can.

1 Like

Notes

• Visual graphics to show strategies in action
  • Explanation of buttons on hover
  • Grow Save buttons larger more emphasis
  • Off-site buttons made known
  • Languages (DeepL v Manual)
  • Recycle multi stablecoins into yVault
  • Table and numbers visible by default, without needing wallet connect, see Kyber for reference for wallet connect prompt
  • Dashboard button only visible after wallet connected
2 Likes

Am I the only one feeling like you’re strong arming the community to accept by virtue of you being the first to publish something like this?

For something like a main website, it should be carefully deliberated as in literally takes the branding of the entire protocol into account.

We should take the time to consider the other design concepts that will be suggested like @FutureFund has mentioned that they were working on and I’m sure that there are others as well.

I am not a fan of the design concept nor am I a fan of the Voting Options and the strong wording on the Poll.

Enthusiasm is awesome to see and the yearn community is second to none but can we please reel it in and consider the long term effects of our actions?

7 Likes

It’s a good question.

It has not only been carefully deliberated, it has been developed in direct collaboration with the community as opposed to being developed in a silo.

I am new here and looking to prove my worth and ability to contribute to Yearn.

People are telling me to wait for FutureFund but isn’t that the same as someone telling Andre to wait for someone else to build something?

He’s doing things first and faster and I seek to match that pace and attitude.

Brand starts here and can easily be extended to the entire protocol.

I will not take further time as you suggested, however. Reason being that as mentioned above several times, this is the only one developed in direct collaboration with the community and therefore the cycle durations between improvement are dramatically shortened.

Wrt your opinion of the design, fair play.

As for the voting language, I will tone it down in the future, it’s been fun however I understand your point of view on that.

Designer here, I used to work in agency for international clients. Branding is key. YFI core branding keywords are independance, playfulness (money legos), uniqueness, experimental. This new version is ok if it was any other protocol but this is not just any other protocol. It needs to remain iconic, just like you can discern Curve from Uniswap (opposed to that are Zapper fi and Zerion, they are too similar).

I am against this re-design. Even if it’s good, it’s not YFI core values.

This needs more time, we need to refine what’s existing (keep the blocky flat-design) not re-invent the wheel!

7 Likes

I strongly disagree with your opinion, reasons mentioned in previous post.
Logo itself is also specifically inspired by Lego.
I guarantee you I will always iterate as fast as you can share your suggestions for improvement however.

1 Like

It’s strange also that you say the core branding keywords are Independence, Playfulness, Uniqueness and Experimental all of which is embodied in the work so far and in the spirit of the work so far, but then want the opposite of that in the execution of the deliverables?

This is an extension of the core framework, so wheels have not been reinvented around here, only accentuated and enhanced, as described above.

FWIW I vote for taking time to consider different alternatives as well.

Just being fast isn’t the best reason to decide to go with a design.

You (and anyone else in the community) have the opportunity here to rethink the entire brand concept if you so wish too and put it to a vote. Taking the time to approach this isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

3 Likes

You’re right about being fast not being the only reason, I agree with you there.

As you’ll also notice above, I actually created this in direct collaboration with community members and would love to keep working on this to improve it.

It would also be great for it to be an iterative approach. The implementation of this version will provide an immediate performance improvement and reduction of community support overheads, due to the reasons explained in the first post.

1 Like

The main point I seek to communicate here is, this is what I can do (move fast, do it well, do it collaboratively and support a positive culture around building) and I want to do more for Yearn.

I have a heavy bag and want to be a lot more involved here to support the successful execution of this vision.

I’m not just a little design boutique, I am an entrepreneur with full stack experience looking to contribute to this mission and showing you my worth the only way I know how, by building.

2 Likes

Would you mind updating voting to something more “neutral” @uhmpeps?

e.g.

• Yes, switch to new design.
  • No, use current design.
4 Likes

I would love to but can’t change it after 5 mins, was having some fun with the voting options however do promise to implement neutral voting options from now on.

1 Like

Sorry but the new logo has less soul, it’s just a scaled up pixel font.
It doesn’t match the token icon (arrows, infinity sign), it’s not unique in any way.
I trained in graphic design and interactive media design in Switzerland and worked for years in one of the best agency there, I’m not just saying things because I enjoy diminishing your work, I say that because as a designer I don’t feel that this is the right direction, It’s a good direction and it’s already a lot of work done but it needs to be polished way more.

Yearn isn’t just a website, it’s becoming an ecosystem that need some coherence in the future. It’s not the top1 priority, the product is functional now. Form follow function, not the other way around.

Also this is not how you develop a strong branding, this needs a team. Luckily there’s teams out there that are specialized in just that…

Example, Bond who made the whole branding for Loupedeck:

Or Mstable which has a very strong and unique identity in Crypto:
https://mstable.org/ (designed by their team + Lea Filipo)

Or Monolith:

Best option would be to hire an agency that has experience in working for brands in the tech sector.

We could also hire an illustrator to create strong visuals, same as Ethereal summit did:

Anyway, just expressing my personal opinion as an anon on an internet forum haha.

6 Likes