How we think about Yearn

I identify strongly with this. Let’s build, friends.

1 Like

agreed! sign me up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant and exactly why I’m here. This was my understanding from inception - now nicely articulated

1 Like

Love it. This feels like early Linux, early bitcointalk days. Contributor and supporter right here :raising_hand_man:t4:

2 Likes

Agree with this manifesto

1 Like

To ze moon soon™
I agree with you

1 Like

love it, good job! let’s continue building more

4 Likes

I fully support this manifesto

1 Like

Love it. 100% onboard.

1 Like

The first day of a new era…Respect!!

1 Like

Looks great! Upwards and onwards.

1 Like

Pretty sure YFI is just thousands of investors expecting a dozen developers to do all the work. Like I’m pretty sure maybe at max 2% of all tokens is circulation are owned by the core developers.

It’s completely lopsided. No cryptocurrency is going to succeed where investors outnumber developers so heavily.

If I was a developer, I’d just partner with several other developers and mint my own token. My time is precious and a single well implemented protocol on my part could be worth millions. Why would I pump the bags of thousands of investors expecting a free ride? I’m not going to “contribute” to your protocol the same way I won’t contribute to the hundreds of other community-based DeFi protocols.

I’d rather just work for myself. My code, my protocol, my money.

7 Likes

I’m in. Let’s do it.

1 Like

@Temp
There is such things as brand name, team work, and network effect. Due to these reasons, its beneficial for a community to gather around a group of developers to work together to achieve something they can’t if they were all working solo.

Community and reputation are the few things that is not forkable in the ethereum dark forest ecosystem.

3 Likes

100%, lets build something great together.

Community and reputation is not scarce in crypto. Any team of developers, skilled and coordinated enough building real DeFi protocols, can rally those same elements around their own protocol and achieve the same level of community and reputation as YFI. It’s not like those elements didn’t exist before YFI, there were hundreds of other community projects to join with amazing brand recognition and DeFi integrations before YFI existed.

New developers aren’t jumping to program in YFI’s GitHub because they literally don’t own any of the tokens. Also, the rewards for major contributions are orders of magnitudes lower than what competent developers could earn working for themselves or a skillfully coordinated team. No developer is going to begin giving out free lunches to holder of YFI, every single protocol right now has extreme demand for competent DeFi software engineers.

The rewards for those guys right now are in the millions with token distribution incentives for new or existing DeFi protocols. No DeFi programmer is saying “I can’t find a team to join, might as well program for YFI and make those token holders millions.” Your incentives and developer incentives are completely unaligned.

7 Likes

If any developer (other than Andre, Satoshi and a select few) can easily replicate YFI’s success, then I can’t find any examples out there. These developers are scarce and that’s why as a community we need to pitch in so they can focus on creating value and we can take care of the other aspects.

If you are talking about teams of developer, then I can agree that yes there are many developer groups that have their own coins and are trying to get a bigger piece of the pie than if they were YFI contributors.

Community is scarce. There are only so many people in crypto and you can’t infinitely clone people. Reputation is scarce also. Once damaged, its hard to rebuild as it takes time. Time is the ultimate scarce resource as we all have limited amount of time.

The mentality that developers deserve the whole pie means that no one will buy the bags and the tokens issued by them are worthless. By devaluing what the community provides, we drive away contributors that aren’t developers and eventually the price will adjust.

4 Likes

Yearn is what crypto is supposed to be: organic incentivized coordination. This manifesto clearly lays that out imo.

7 Likes

@temp thinks Yearn.finance was a solo effort

2 Likes

I completely agree about the manifesto. Lorena :argentina: :argentina: @Arcturus, @banteg @lehnberg, @milkyklim @tracheopteryx