Narrative Shifts & Replacing Blue Kirby

I would even argue that the official channel should be the yearn.finance official twitter account. The yearn PR person(full time employee) just focuses on collecting/coordinating info from the various devs working on the different projects and creates fact based content and puts it out into the world…yCulture could live outside the official channel where yearn can encourage competitions to attract awesome twitter personalities and grow yculture organically…incase there is a future mishap…we can always trace the flow of info back to the “bland” official channel. This way there is no confusion about who said what. And we can make it very clear that nothing outside the info from the offical channel is “official”. Balancing professional communication with an awesome yCulture is a very challenging task…this could be one approach to balancing these two very important but polar opposite styles of communication.

2 Likes

Well we have another PR nightmare brewing because people FOMOed into $LBI testnet contracts within minutes of Andre publishing his Medium article.

Update: This is 100% valueless, not in the meme sense, as in this is an experimental concept to be further developed and co-collaborated on. This won’t be used in the future, nor does it do anything more than create a perpetual distribution pool. Its shared for devs to help think tank and figure out how to create this new distribution mechanism. Don’t put funds into it. I promise, I will create things for you to use your funds for, but this is not it.

I am sure a lot more trust has been lost with LBI compounding the damage of EMN. Does anyone still think that a public relations/communications director is still not necessary? Let us please solve this ASAP to be able to clean up this mess and move forward once and for all.

haha. You can’t fight against stupidity . If people have too much money and don’t know what to do with it, they can send me some ETH on my next Gitcoin grant ! that will be helpful :rofl:

1 Like

Let me throw in a different view: yearn is not a company, it´s a protocol.

I kind of agree with @WrongNebula in that we don´t need a public face for yearn. The companies building on it will need their PR department, not us.They will onboard users, not us. Our focus should be to build and to take care about the future development of the protocol and ecosystem through governance.

But I also agree with @ejbaraza in that more content needs to be dispersed on different levels of complexity and different languages.

So why don´t we consider the middle route? Incentivizing media, articles etc. with competitions and grants while keeping the decentralized nature of being a protocol without a representative.

You want to interview devs and write articles? Open a grant request. You want to produce a video in Japanese that explains yearn vaults to a community of XXX people? Open a grant request. Honestly I don´t get the notion of paying a salary to people. What really counts in the world is what you deliver and the impact of what you do, not how many hours you put in. Project based payment aligns interests the best.

As a side note, I didn´t find yearn because of a stupid mascot and noticing that yearn governance was spending tens of thousands for it makes me wondering to be honest. Let´s sponsor content creators that bring real benefit to the protocol and don´t worry too much about the awareness of yearn. With over 1 billion TVL we are one of the best known protocolls of the DeFi space - thanks to the hard working developers, not because of an overpaid mascot.

4 Likes

I am opposed to another mascot or anything similar to Kirby. The focus should be building new products that add value to users. Devs are working on v2 Vaults and the yEth vault.

Yearn originally skyrocketed not from hype, marketing, but from innovation and launching a revolution. People are arguing it was all, or largely from Kirby, but I disagree.

Tweets related to development updates and product changes are distributed as they occur. There is a weekly newsletter that covers ecosystem news, products, governance, and other news related to vaults. There is also a daily newsletter. The current documents cover the products in production and other ones potentially launching in the future.

@ejbaraza
“At the moment, it feels like it is very cloak and dagger when it comes to the progress of governance, vault strategies, user interface, and so on.”
This is all covered in the newsletters discussed above. https://yearn.substack.com/

Communications is being made way more complicated than it is, I’ve learned that you cannot satisfy everyone. If people blindly went into LBI after EMN and can’t read the numerous disclosures in the medium post that’s on them. There was no mention or relation to Yearn at all.

That being said if you are still passionate and want to help out in any way I suggest you create a formal plan that outlines what you would do exactly, specific objectives, expected outcomes and how any work would complete such objectives. This could be shared with the multi-sig and/or the broader community and could be decided from there.

3 Likes

Id like to suggest the idea that instead of tweeter. We hire a website designer that can integrate all the little apps floating around for getting feeds and they make the UI much more user friendly. This will go a long way to improve public relations.

I’ve been here for long enough that people should recognise me but I still find it hard to find what I’m looking for and get consistent data

1 Like

I hate to labor the point, but this entire thread

Illustrates the need for a localized website that performs all the features, consolidates info, and supplies data.

5 Likes

I agree completely, but our opinion is falling on deaf ears by not being voiced in the discord chat. So if anyone wants to influence the direction of this protocol then they should go to: https://discord.com/invite/6PNv2nF/. There you will find the actual decision-makers that need to be convinced of these changes.

Great news people, discord has arrived at a consensus on hiring a PR person and we are now fleshing out the details on the #PR section. Please join us so that we can brainstorm together. This has been a painful process for me, I took a beating presenting this proposal and even had people linking Andre’s medium article telling me to fuck off. Luckily, we came to the conclusion that crisis management is an absolute necessity and as such are working on bringing about a formal proposal. Join us on discord: https://discord.com/invite/6PNv2nF/

Needs to be professionalised for sure.

In particular to attract interest from people beyond the weird defi bubble and grow the impact of yearn.

Brilliant developers are just one part of the equation.

This is the compromise we came to instead of a PR person we have a hub for Q&As: https://hackmd.io/r3aR9KTARGO08r3qSpYT0A?view

1 Like