Burn YFI minting ability permanently

The original intention of YFI was to govern the protocol and let builders/coders create awesome products collaboratively and with the focus on DeFi composability. It made sense to distribute it in yield-farming fashion because at its core Yearn is yield-farming protocol.

Two months into the project we’ve been able to see a better picture of who the holders are, and their long-term visions. The amount smart, methodical, creative, and innovative people building Yearn and participating in the governance ecosystem is mind-blowing. We don’t need to issue more YFI to lure yield-farmers or speculators in. The cream of the crop in DeFi is already managing governance so that builders can innovate and change the world. Why shake up the current governance mix?

YFI will be a model of governance for all of crypto and IMO it already is. I am against any further minting.

@madavidj

Analogously, companies issue and buy back shares all the time. It’s a financial tool that we don’t want to give up so early.

We can still do the same thing by buying shares with earnings and burning them, or keeping them in Treasury, which is what companies do during stock buybacks.

11 Likes

+1 for no more $YFI minting. The protocol can evolve without the need for further dilution IMO. There’s a sweet spot in terms of parties actively involved with any project, the tradeoff being between aggregate work capacity and team skills composition vs. communication and coordination costs implied by larger groups.

3 Likes

This is a snapshot vote, you need to vote for something on-chain.

1 Like

I support this proposal.

For further visibility of $yfi and community I suggest governance voters promote their votes on social media & other platforms

I have done so in this format and plan on doing so for future votes.

Link to Tweet with vote:
https://twitter.com/benjaminmbrown/status/1304982716635664384?s=20

FORM/Template

I voted [for/against] [proposer username]'s $yfi proposal

[Describe the proposal and why you voted]

[direct link to the proposal snapshot]

Add screenshot of the proposal

I voted yes, definitely yes, 30K is enough!!!

1 Like

From a protocol integrity standpoint, we should mint at least some more YFI. YIP 0, which was proposed by Andre, passed. That YIP called for inflation. I voted against YIP 0 at the time, the vote was close, but I lost. Rejecting that vote sets a bad precedent and suggests that votes do not have consequences. To give meaning to YIP 0 and the voting process in general, we should mint some additional YFI. It can be 1 YFI, 1000 YFI, or something else. The point is there was a vote and it should be respected and implemented. I would then suggest we put all the minted YFI in the treasury for whatever future uses we vote for and then immediately burn the minting capability.

2 Likes

Thank you, definitely in favor!

1 Like

I am for permanent burn of minting capability.

1 Like

This is such an interesting move. A permanently fixed supply, for a token with real demand, without an option for future minting. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any other projects we can reference as a guide for how this might play out?

3 Likes

https://theether.io/claim/yfi-should-burn-their-minting-ability-permanently

Is it possible to see the smart contracts for the on-chain governance already? I made the first Subgraphs for Yearn Finance and would like to build out support for the on-chain governance so it’s ready to go when it launches!

I am not able to vote because all of my YFi is locked in Governance … but I agree with Andre: Burn the keys, no more YFi ever.

Having it all capped at 30,000 was a stroke of genius, we should keep that forever.

1 Like

Perhaps just begin with one side of the equation and buy back now for the Treasury with the aim of using later

1 Like

This proposal seems like an overreaction to people asking to recover their coins sent to contract addresses. I’m both against going the mint-to-recover rabbit hole and against burning the keys. It was not a pressing issue and it limits the flexibility of the protocol in case we find a good inflation model in the future.

10 Likes

Locking YFI in ygov is what lets you vote. You should be able to vote on snapshot, try refreshing the page might just be an error.

1 Like

I will be voting against this proposal. What happened to getting a report on inflation and yfi distribution from delphi?

4 Likes

I have changed my mind, and I’m now voting no.

While, as a YFI holder, I would like to see capped supply, I agree that it seems far too early to cut off our options, especially if we’re looking towards the next few years.

While I’m sure that we could find some other way to fundraise, this seems like removing a Chesterton’s Fence.

2 Likes

That’s like saying “buying health insurance will make you weak”

I am in favour of this proposal.

1 Like

This proposal feels like it might cement a certain image of YFI.
I think being able to mint tokens whenever we like, is an bad image to have.

I’m certainly For burning minting ability permanently. Everybody loves scarcity.
Let’s let everyone know: There will only every be 29967 YFI.

2 Likes