YIP-60: Airdrops to Yearn Vaults

I appreciate and respect the effort by @lehnberg to clarify an unforeseen situation. That is to be applauded. I recognize that handling individual airdrops can be challenging, but Yearn finances are already opaque and letting an anonymous unaccountable dev ops team “do whatever seems best at the time” is the opposite of policy,

I must respectfully disagree. This is NOT a school PTA, there are over 2 BILLION DOLLARS TLV in Yearn, that generates a lot of fees, plenty to pay people to do things right.

It is my job, as a small investor, to point out that the governance is too squishy, and request that any proposals be fleshed out with specific policies and procedures where ever possible. That means people should have a pretty good idea of what will happen to an airdop by reading policy, they shouldn’t have to wait til the team makes up it’s mind.

The discussion in yvecrv specific thread where @banteg proposes different ways to calculate how to assign the airdop is the perfect example of what should not happen in the future. This is the sort of thing that should be detailed in any proposal on how to handle future airdrops.

As a small investor all I can do is encourage people to vote no, and to ask for a more fleshed out governance proposal. Were this posted as a draft, great we can all discuss how to improve it, but it was posted as a vote.

If Yearn wants to hire me (or anybody) to work on governance, GREAT, but governance is hard work, and I don’t have time to spend writing governance docs for free free for a fund with 2 Billion dollars under management.

As an aside: I also think the whole “Yearn’s image” and being left out of airdrops is nonsense. Yearn has a great deal of influence with Curve and Curve does with Ellipsis. Frankly Yearn has a great deal of influence with EVERYONE, creation of a Yearn product using a token or protocol is very valuable to the people who run that protocol. Ellipsis set up their Airdrop and their tokenomics (to charge people a 50% penalty, if they sold early) telling a single individual (Yearn) holder (representing many, many individual yvecrv holders) that they will be excluded from Airdrop if they want to sell, that’s not kosher, and Yearn need not be exploited that way.

5 Likes